Did you just purchase a new TCL Roku TV? Check on these TCL Roku TV remote instructions so that you know how to set up your TV.
In this TCL Roku TV user guide, you’ll learn:
- The 2 remote types and how to differentiate,
- TLC Roku TV remote pairing,
- How to reset your TCL Roku TV remote,
- The remote codes,
- Remote replacement,
- TCL Roku TV remote app,
- and other useful guides.
Let’s dive right in!
TCL Roku TV Remote Setup
2 Types of TCL Roku TV Remote
Basically, there are two types of TCL Roku remote that you can get depending on the type of TCL Roku TV that you purchased: Standard IR Remote and Voice Remote.
Both remotes have a pretty similar size and appearance, but they have two main differences in terms of features.
The Standard IR remote is the conventional type of remote. It uses an invisible Infra-Red to transmit remote key selections. You must point it directly at the front of your TV to operate it. Thus, make sure that the path between your TV and remote is clear. There should not be anything blocking the TV sensor, or the TCL Roku TV remote will not be working properly.
Meanwhile, the Voice remote is more advanced than the Standard IR remote. It uses a wireless connection rather than Infra-Red. It means you can use it from anywhere without the need of aiming it directly at your TV. Also, you don’t need to worry if something blocking the TV sensor. Your remote can still change the channel.
Like the name, Voice remote supports voice command. Press the magnifying or mic button and you can speak the channel or title of a movie that you want to play. You can also ask your TCL Roku TV to play music, see the weather, and many more.
Another interesting thing about the voice remote is the headphone jack. Yes, it has a headphone jack on the left side. It allows you to privately listen to the sound of the movie you are watching. It is pretty helpful when you want to watch a movie without bothering others. Just plug your headphone and you’re good to go.
Muting and controlling volume can also be easily done from the remote.
To use the voice remote, you need to pair it with your TCL Roku TV. This doesn’t apply to the Standard IR remote as it is using an Infra-Red connection. So, you can use it on the go.
Let’s take a look at them closely in the following comparison table.
|Features||Standard IR Remote||Voice Remote|
|Batteries||double AAA||double AAA|
|Voice command or voice search button||No||Yes|
|Preset channel shortcut||Yes||Yes|
How to Pair Your TCL Roku TV Remote
This TCL Roku TV remote pairing section works for Voice remote only. If you happen to have the Standard IR remote, you can skip this method.
As we have mentioned earlier that the Voice Remote uses a wireless network to connect with your TV. So, you need to pair it with your TV during the initial setup. In some cases, it can automatically pair when you insert the batteries for the first time.
However, if it doesn’t, you can do it manually. It’s quite easy though. We will guide you through the TCL Roku TV remote instructions below:
- Open the battery cover at the back.
- Under the batteries, you will find a pairing LED on the left and a pairing button on the right.
- Hold down the pairing button on the right for 3-5 seconds.
- The pairing light should starts flashing. Repeat step 3 if the it doesn’t flash.
- Restart your TCL Roku TV.
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Go to Settings > System > Power > System Restart > Restart.
- Press OK.
- It may take around 30 seconds for the remote creates a connection with your TV.
- You will see the remote pairing pop up on your screen.
- The battery status of your Voice remote will appear on the screen when the TCL Roku TV remote pairing method is successful.
How to Reset Your TCL Roku TV Remote
Resetting your TCL Roku TV remote is pretty simple. You can do it to both Standard IR and Voice remotes.
- Open the battery cover.
- Remove the batteries.
- Press the home button for 15 seconds.
- Restart your TCL Roku TV by pressing the physical button on the TV.
- Insert the batteries back when the home screen appears on your TV.
TCL Roku TV Remote Codes
Do you know that you can program your cable, universal, or satellite remote to control your TCL Roku TV?
If you lose your TCL Roku TV remote, you can use the cable, satellite, or universal remote to replace it. It allows you to control certain functions of your TCL Roku TV. However, you will need to know the remote code.
Each provider provides a different remote code. Check on the table below to see them based on the TV remote cable providers. Call your provider if you don’t find the code on the table below.
Note: Not all buttons will work on your TCL Roku TV as well as the original remote. It may only work for basic functions like power, volume, input selection, navigation. In some cases, you can also control the replay, play/pause, reverse and forward scan.
|Providers||TCL Roku TV Remote Codes|
|Altice USA (Optimum/ Suddenlink/Cablevision)||1111, 0821, 0001, 3411, 3311, 2801, 4141, 1931, 1661, 1561|
|AT&T DirecTV||11756, 10706|
|ATT U-verse||1346, 12434|
|Bright House Cable||1756|
|Buckeye Broadband||12434, 2434|
|Cable One (branded as Sparklight)||2434|
|CenturyLink||2414, 2434, 3183|
|Comcast Cable (Xfinity)||11756, 12434, 12290, 12292|
|Cox Communications||1756, 11756, 12434|
|DISH Satellite TV||1756, 535, 645|
|RCA/Voxx||11756, 12434,387, 12049|
|Time Warner (Spectrum)||387, 1566, 268|
|Windstream||2414, 2434, 3183|
|GE Universal Remote Model 24922||2891|
|Microsoft Xbox One||T1756|
Visit this link if you need the remote codes for your TCL Android TV.
How to Program Your TCL Roku TV Remote Replacement
Once you know the remote code of the provider, it’s time to do the TCL Roku TV remote replacement programming. Follow the instructions below:
Note: The steps may differ for each remote manufacturer/provider.
- Aim the universal remote control to your TCL Roku TV. Make sure nothing blocks the path.
- Press and hold down TV button (and SETUP button) until you see a RED light blinking twice.
- Insert the remote code and press #.
- The RED light will be off when the code is correct.
Now, you can try to use the universal remote to control your TCL Roku TV. If it doesn’t work, you can repeat the instructions above and try a different code.
How to Control Your Soundbar Using TCL Roku TV Remote
Before you do this, make sure that you use Audio Return Channel (ARC) to connect your soundbar and your TV. This way, Roku will be able to control your soundbar’s volume using the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC).
On the other hand, if you use the optical cable to connect the soundbar and your TV, you cannot perform this method.
- Turn on your TV and go to Home > Settings.
- Select Audio > Audio Preferences > Audio Mode > Auto (DTS).
- Go back to Audio menu.
- Select S/PDIF and set it to Auto-detect.
- Return to Audio menu.
- Choose ARC and set it to Auto-detect.
- Go to Settings > System > CEC.
- Give ARC (HDMI) a tick.
My soundbar doesn’t support ARC, can I still use the TCL Roku TV remote to control it?
If your speakers support HDMI, there might be a possibility that you can use the remote to control it.
Go to Settings > System > Control other devices and turn on System Audio Control to test it.
TCL Roku Remote App
Roku provides a mobile app that can work as a remote. It can be a good alternative if the TCL Roku TV remote is not working or you lose it. The Roku remote app supports all functions that the enhanced or voice remote has.
Here are useful things you can do with the TCL Roku remote app:
- control your channel,
- search and control with your voice,
- private listening,
- stream movies from your mobile phone,
- cast photos, music, and videos to your TV,
- and many more.
Those were the TCL Roku TV remote instructions that you should read before you set up your TV. If you face a TCL Roku TV remote not working issue, you can visit the solution on this page.
Roku is one of the best streaming services that provide unlimited entertainment. Enjoy over 500,000+ movies and TV episodes both free and paid in 4K. Stream what you love, from the award-winning originals, live news & sports, classic movies, to kids & family entertainment.
- 2 Easy Methods to Control Your TV With a Roku Remote
- How to Set Up Your Roku Ultra to Play 4K Videos
- How to Update Pluto TV App on Android, Roku, iOS and Smart TV