In this post, you will learn how to set up your Roku Ultra (model 4800) to play 4K videos. The method also works for Roku Ultra LT (model 4801) that is sold exclusively at Walmart.
So, you probably just purchased a new Roku Ultra streaming player. This awesome streaming device allows you to watch movies in UltraHD or 4K quality. 4K movies offer a better video quality, such as the color ranges, sounds, and many more. It gives you a better experience in watching your favorite movies.
Before we jump to the tutorial, there are several things you need to prepare in order to play 4K videos on your Roku player. Check on the list below.
- Roku Ultra or Roku Ultra LT device.
- 4K TV with a HDMI 2.0 port that supports HDCP 2.2.
- Reliable and fast internet connection with download speed up to 25 Mbps.
- Streaming service that supports streaming in 4K, for example Netflix, Apple TV, or Disney+.
- High Speed HDMI cable
- 4K TV that supports more than 30fps.
Once everything is set, then you can start to set up your Roku Ultra or Roku LT. Scroll down to see the steps.
How to Set Up Your Roku Ultra to Play 4K Videos
1. Plug the HDMI cable into the port on your TV that supports HDCP 2.2 and the other end goes to your Roku Ultra player.
2. Power up your Roku player by connecting it to the power source.
3. Grab your TV remote, point it to your TV, and press the Input or Source button. You’ll see the Roku logo on the screen in a few moments.
4. Get your Roku remote. Then, insert the batteries into the compartment. Your Roku player and remote should pair automatically. Check this post if you have a pairing issue.
5. Select the language that you use.
6. Connect your Roku Ultra to the Wifi. You may need to insert the password. Then, choose Connect. Go here if you encounter an issue. Your Roku Ultra will update the firmware automatically.
7. You’ll be prompted to set your display type. Press OK and your Roku Ultra player will choose the best resolution for your TV. Select “Yes, screen looks good” to confirm.
8. Link your Roku Ultra device to your account by selecting “Yes, I already have one”. If not, choose “No, I need to create one”.
9. Create a PIN code to control purchases and channel downloads. Fill in your payment method or press skip for now if you want to fill it later.
10. Select your favorite channels and press the Continue button at the bottom of the page. Roku will take a few seconds to add all the selected channels.
11. When completed, you will see “All Done” on your screen.
How do I connect my Roku Ultra with my AVR or soundbar?
For better audio quality, you can use an AVR or soundbar for your audio output. There are two ways to connect your Roku Ultra device with the ARV or soundbar.
Note: Both your soundbar and TV should have 2 HDMI ports that support HDCP 2.2.
- Connect your Roku Ultra player to your AVR or sound bar using a HDMI cable.
- Then, connect your AVR or sound bar to TV using a HDMI cable.
- Connect your Roku Ultra player to the HDMI port on your TV.
- Connect your AVR or sound bar to your TV. Make sure that both your TV and AVR or sound bar support ARC.
- How to Fix Your TCL Roku Remote Not Working Issue
- Solved! 6 Methods You Should Do to Fix Roku Remote Not Working Issue
- 5 New Useful Features on Roku Voice Remote Pro
Where can I watch 4K movies?
Once your Roku player and TV have been set up, the only remaining is finding 4K movies to watch. Nowadays, there are many streaming services that offer 4K content, such as Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Paramount+, Epix Now, FuboTV, YouTube TV, HBO Max, and Apple TV+.
In addition, those streaming services also offer High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, except Hulu and Epix Now. The HDR content has stunning colors that are pleasant to your eyes.
However, the 4K movies are only available on the Premium plan. It means you need to pay more to watch Ultra HD or 4K content.
You can also find 4K movies by visiting the 4K Spotlight channel or the 4K Movies and TV Zone from the universal search.
- Hit the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Choose Search from the left menu.
- Type “4K”.
- Select 4K Movies and TV Zone.
- Then, select the title you want to watch.
If the channel is not available on your Roku device, you will be asked to install it before you can watch the 4K and HDR content.
If you are using a Roku Voice Remote, you can simply say “show me 4K movies” and your device will start searching the content automatically.
I cannot stream 4K content. What should I do?
If your Roku Ultra cannot stream 4K content, you need to make sure that you have subscribed to the right plan that supports UltraHD or 4K videos. Netflix, for example, only users that join the Premium Plan can enjoy the TV Shows and movies in 4K or Ultra HD. This also happens to other streaming services.
Now, check out the plan you subscribe to. If it’s not the Premium plan, then it’s time to upgrade.
Another thing you need to check is the minimum requirements you need to fulfill in order to be able to watch 4K videos. Scroll up to check the minimum requirements again.
For queries, contact Support.