In this post, you will learn 2 easy methods to control your TV with a Roku remote.
Once you set it up, you will be able to adjust the volume of your TV and power it on/off. Though the function is limited, it is still quite useful. Especially when you lost your TV remote, which happens pretty often in my case.
After all, those two functions are the most things that we use on a remote, including the navigation.
So, if you want to know how to program your Roku remote to control a TV, check the following methods!
How to Control Your TV With a Roku Remote
Before we jump into the methods, it’s better if you know the buttons on a Roku remote. A Roku remote has buttons for navigations, TV power, volume control, mute, voice button, channels shortcut, instant replay, and back.
Anyway, it needs two AA or AAA batteries to power up.
A. During early setup and activation
You need to program your Roku remote before using it for the first time.
What should you prepare? Of course, an internet connection.
As it is connected, you will see a screen telling you that you can control the volume and power of your TV.
You can do a simple checking to make sure that your Roku remote is working properly. For example, try to increase and decrease the volume of your TV. Then, set the volume to an audible level.
Now, it’s time to set up your remote. Do the following steps carefully:
1. Press the home button on your remote.
2. Select Check remote settings to start.
3. A notification message saying, “Music is currently playing. Do you hear it?” Click Yes if you can hear music playing and No if you cannot hear it.
4. Another pop-up appears saying, “Did the music stop playing?” In this step, your Roku player is trying to mute the selected TV brand using codes. If you cannot hear the music, select Yes.
Click No if the music is still playing. It means that your Roku player cannot recognize your TV brand. Hence, you should choose a TV brand manually by selecting Enter TV brand.
Use the on-screen keyboard to enter your TV brand. After that, the Roku player will play music again. Select Yes if you hear it. Then, it will try to mute the music by inserting codes and ask you if the music has stopped. Choose Yes when it does.
5. Select OK. Now, you have successfully programmed your Roku remote to control your TV’s volume and power.
Note: The remote works well with the listed TV brand. If your TV brand is on the list, the remote may not work properly, either it’s not working or it’s working partially (you can only adjust the volume).
B. After early setup and activation
It is also possible to program your Roku remote after early setup and activation. In this method, you can set up your remote through the Settings menu.
1. Push the home button on your remote.
2. Navigate to Settings.
3. Select Remote > Set up remote for TV control.
4. Choose Start and the setup will run automatically.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
How to Pair Your Roku Remote
If you have a Roku remote with a voice button, it means you can pair your Roku remote during the early setup and activation process.
If the Roku remote is not pairing, you are not able to complete the setup process. Also, you won’t be able to use advanced features like voice control.
That said, pairing your Roku remote during the early setup is essential.
- Open the batteries cover.
- Insert two new batteries (AA or AAA) if needed. Pairing should begin automatically.
If the pairing doesn’t begin automatically, do the following:
- Press and hold the pairing button under the batteries for 3-5 seconds. The pairing light on the remote will start flashing. If it doesn’t, try again. Or, you can change the batteries.
- Wait for 30 seconds to see if your remote connects to the Roku device.
- A pairing dialog will show up when it succeeds.
Note: You can find the pairing button and the status light under the batteries.
Now, you should have successfully paired your Roku remote.
- How to Connect Roku to Wifi Without a Remote
- Onn Roku TV Review – Is It Worth It?
- Solved! 6 Methods You Should Do to Fix Roku Remote Not Working Issue
After following one of the methods above, now you can control your TV’s volume and power with your Roku remote.
Now, some of you may be wondering and starting to ask a question like “Can I control other devices using my Roku remote?”
Unfortunately, your Roku remote cannot directly control other devices like a soundbar or audio/video receiver. It’s clear that you need to use its original remote to control other devices.
So, that’s all about how to program your Roku remote to control your TV.
For queries, contact Support.