Learn how to fix your Apple TV remote not working issue.
Recently, Apple introduced a new remote, the 2nd gen of Apple Siri. It is claimed to be a new easy and fun way to interact with the Apple TV. In the second-gen, there is a little change, like the color and some additional buttons, you now have a click pad with a touch surface and the Siri button is on the right side.
However, the interactive experience will turn into annoyance when you face Apple TV Remote not working issue. But you should now worry. In this post, you will learn some ways to fix the problem.
How to Fix Apple TV Remote Not Working Issue
When you find out that your Apple TV remote is not working or connected as expected, here’s what to do in the first place:
- For Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote, you need to charge it for 30 minutes using a Lightning to USB cable and a USB wall charger.
- For an Apple Remote, you simply need to replace the battery.
- Unplug your Apple TV from the power and wait 6-10 seconds before plug it back in.
If the error persists after you follow the steps above, you can follow the steps according to the type of the remote.
Apple has several types of remotes, but basically, we can divide them into two groups: Apple Remote and Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote. The Apple Remote comes in two types and both are white. These remotes are quite simple and only have two buttons: Menu and Play/Pause and a wheel. However, this version doesn’t support Siri yet.
The newest type is called Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote. It has two generations already. The first generation comes in black, while the second generation is white. Unlike Apple Remote, Siri Remote now has support for Siri and more buttons. It has some additional buttons that Apple Remote doesn’t have, such as Power, Siri, TV/Control Center, and Volume.
Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote
- Place your remote 3 inches from your Apple TV.
- Press and hold Menu or Back < and Volume Up + for 5 seconds.
- Put your remote on top of the Apple TV to pair.
Apple Remote (Aluminum or White)
- Unpair your Apple Remote with your Apple TV: press and hold the Menu and Left buttons for 6-10 seconds. Then, you will see the unpair icon on your Apple TV.
- Pair your Apple Remote with your Apple TV: press and hold the Menu and Right buttons for 6-10 seconds. Then, the pair icon will show up on your Apple TV.
How to Reset Siri Remote
You can also try to reset your Siri Remote when you experience a glitch or it becomes unresponsive. Here’s how:
- Unplug your TV and Apple TV from the power and let them sit for 10 seconds.
- Then, plug them back in.
- Grab your Siri Remote.
- Hold down Menu and Volume Up simultaneously for 6 seconds.
- Release the buttons.
I’ve been writing about tech since 2014. I found it fascinating to see the development of technology. My focus mostly is on app reviews, tips & tricks, and troubleshooting.